Sustainability at Mason
sustainability is one of mason's core values. we educate leaders, conduct interdisciplinary research, invest in sustainable infrastructure, and promote and support socially conscious entrepreneurship. join us in solving the complex challenges of today to create a better world tomorrow.
the ise supports interdisciplinary research by connecting experts in various fields with each other and to policymakers, businesses, civic organizations, and communities. the power of this collaboration leads to discoveries and innovation that might otherwise take years to reach. we're making an impact now.
at smsc, learn from smithsonian scientists in a program that is unique in the nation. safeguard vanishing species through hands-on, interdisciplinary for undergraduates, graduate students, professionals, and high schoolers.
our practices include: constructing buildings; managing stormwater runoff; growing food in our ; planting and teaching apiary management; making carbon-neutral/green purchases; being energy efficient; composting; and reducing waste.
this 50,000-square-foot facility, a destination for environmental science research along the chesapeake bay watershed, hosts collaborations with government agencies and private industry. it’s home to the potomac environmental research and education center and the center for geospatial intelligence.
Sustainability Research at Mason
Much of the research conducted at Mason威尼斯人澳门官网 is connected in some way with sustainability.
威尼斯人澳门官网our researchers in different disciplines collaborate to find solutions to global problems.
威尼斯人澳门官网in addition to the and the university-wide , nine of our have affiliated research centers that focus on an aspect of sustainability. mason is one of the top research universities in the nation, holding an r1 designation from the carnegie classification of institutions of higher education.
Study: Prepare to Make a Difference in the World
mason provides an immersive experience that will allow you to craft a career in any field.
- Explore our sustainability-focused programs and courses, and build a career protecting the planet, enhancing lives, and preserving species.
- Study conservation biology at the , which offers three semester-long residential programs on the grounds of the , based in Front Royal, Virginia. This is the only program of its kind in the nation.
- Conduct research, both as an undergraduate and graduate. Apply for funding through the and the(OSCAR).
- Travel the world in programs that take you to such places as or the . Mason’s also offers scholarships.
Work: Craft a Career that Will Let You Make Your Mark
威尼斯人澳门官网you don't have to wait for a degree to start your career in sustainability. mason offers students, faculty and staff, and members of the community opportunities to work and build a business now.
- Explore “green” careers with guidance from , which has specialized knowledge in the field.
- Find an or internship, wage or salary position, or graduate assistantship in a sustainable field.
- Start a venture, intern, or get hands-on experience at one of the ’ centers or initiatives focused on sustainability, such as the , or the .
- Become an entrepreneur with help from . The Fairfax Campus is home to two of these maker spaces. The MIX hosts workshops, competitions, and accelerator programs. Business coaching and mentorship is available.
Live: Incorporate Your Values into Your Life
your personal time can also be productive — and fun.
- Join our , where members work to conserve energy and water, recycle and compost, and follow sustainable practices.
- Volunteer at Mason's on campus. Our food system produces approximately 2,000 pounds of fresh produce every year, which supplies our dining halls and raises $20,000 to pay for supplies, staff, and utilities.
- Take advantage of campus , such as dedicated racks, shelters, and fix-it stations, as well as our new
- Enjoy the countryside with off-campus trips. You'll get nature awareness training that lets you leave no trace behind.
- Join a , a sustainability-focused organization, such as and the .
- Go on an in which you’ll work with organizations focused on an area of social justice, such as ecosystem restoration or indigenous rights.
we know we’re a sustainable university. others know it, too.
- to earn an rating from the We are actively working to go platinum by reducing environmental impact through strategic infrastructure improvements, efficiency upgrades, operational commitments, and by growing smartly and sustainably.
- We just celebrated our tenth feature in .
- We’re on the .
- We’ve been recognized as a (PDF) by the League of American Bicyclists.